LR - Development Projects
The second phase (Phase 2) of the railway link is an extension of the existing link. It will include construction of a 7.5 km railway track from Thanaleng to Vientiane
This project has been finished bidding for the construction this month.
- Number of main Line: Single Track
- Meter Gauge: 1000 m.
scope of the civil works (Phase 2, section 2)
|Railway Mainline , Track works , Signaling and Communication System||7,750 m|
|Vientiane Station, 2 Floors||18,000 m2|
|Row House, 2 Floors, 8 Rooms||1 unit|
|Siding Tracks||4 No|
|Access Roads||2 km|
|Level Crossing||4 No|
location map of ltr station and lcR station
REVISION of railway alignment sta. 3+500 – 10+550 (REVISION)
Vientiane station, front view (ORIGINAL)
LAO-CHINA RAILWAY PROJECT
Lao-China railway is rail infrastructure cooperation has been extensively conduct within southeast Asian country Asian countries under the release of ASEAN’s Master plan on ASEAN connectivity 2025 (MPA 2025 ) and the China’s initiative of belt on road.
- The MoU signed on 7th April 2010:
- Of the Government of PR China and the Government of the Lao PDR agreed to cooperate in development of the Lao – China RW Project.
- Laos – china RW Working Group was established.
- Principles and Frameworks of the Cooperation were set up and endorsed.
- The MoM signed on 4th October 2010:
- The two governments discussed and enhance the agreed frameworks under the signed MoU.
- The agreed Principles and Frameworks were implemented.
- Feasibility Study began.
Investment and Financial Information
- Investment Pattern: PPP-BOT
- Investment type: Joint Investment ( JV )
- Cooperation Mechanism: G to G (with special incentives and supports from two Governments, Lao and China).
- Total Investment Cost: 5.9 Bill USD
- Share Portion: Laos 30% & China 70%
- Equity: 40%
- Debt Financing: 60%
- Railway Classification: Level 1.
- No. of Main Line: Single track.
- Operating Speed:
- Passenger trains: 160 km/h
- Freight trains: 120 km/h
Main Engineering Works
- Total Route Length= 409 Km
- ( from Lao – China border to Vientiane Capital )
- Sub-grade = 155 Km
- 75 tunnels = 198 Km
- There are 6 tunnels with an individual length > 8 Km
- The longest tunnel = 12.6 Km
- 167 medium, major & super major bridges = 61 Km
- Single track : 148 bridges
- Double track: 13 bridges
- Triple-track: 6 bridges
Engaged Contractors & Consultants
- Six Chinese Main Contractors.
- Three Chinese Construction Supervision Consultants.
- Three Chinese third –Party Testing Consultants.
- Qualified local Sub-contractors/Suppliers
- Construction Period: 5 years
- ( Jan 2017 – Dec 2021 )
Progress of Neighboring Connect Point railway with ASEAN.
Vientiane-Thakhek-Mu Gia-VungAng (Vietnam)
- Length 555 km (Lao side =452Km)
- Pre-feasibility study was completed in March 2011 by Chung Suk.Co; (Grant aid of Republic of Korea ROK);
- ROK granted 3 million USD for the Feasibility Study on Vientiane-Vung Ang railway link under the ASEAN-ROK Cooperation framework. It is being implemented since the end of 2015 to December 2017;
- Progress: Competed final report in November 2017
- Pre-Feasibility Study was completed in September 2009 by Giant Group Co. Ltd (Malaysia) and feasibility study was completed in 2012.
- Now under review of feasibility study
- Progress: The alignment is being updated.
Thakhek-Savannakhet-Pakse-Vangtau (Lao-Thai border)
- Length 345 km.
- Pre-Feasibility Study completed in December 2013 by TESO Engineering Co. Ltd (Grant aid of ROK);
- Planning for Feasibility Study.
Pakse-Veunkham (Lao-Cambodia border)
- Length 150 Km.
- Planning for Feasibility Study.